Dutchess County Lawyer answers most common questions to help clients save time and maintain social distancing
After the Covid-19 restrictions, Courts in Dutchess County, NY are now open for e-filing. Holding off on hiring a lawyer for your divorce at this time can have significant legal consequences. File today and avoid court backlogs and extended wait times. Move forward today with the Law Office of Kevin Mackay.
Before hiring a lawyer in Dutchess County, NY for your divorce, child custody, criminal matter, dui, personal injury case or any other serious legal matter please make sure you ask the following questions.
For the sake of transparency and to save time during your free consultation with the Law Office of Kevin MacKay here are some questions answered for you.
1. How long have you been practicing law? I have been practicing law for 27 years.
2. How many trials have you done? How often do you settle vs try a case? I have done hundreds of trials in divorce actions, family court proceedings and criminal proceedings ranging from traffic matters to murder cases. While many cases do settle, I will never let my clients settle for anything less than they deserve, I am a litigation attorney and will take any case to trial to get the best results for my clients.
3. How much of your practice is devoted to my legal needs? While I practice different areas of law I concentrate mostly on matrimonial and criminal law. I will never take on a case that I was not 100% confident that I can meet your needs and represent you to the best of my abilities.
4. Will you be the attorney appearing in court with me? How do I know you are personally going to handle my case? Just because you say so in your commercial? Yes, I will be appearing with you in Court. I keep in contact with my clients to discuss all aspects of the case, not only will I be handling your case but I keep you involved every step of the way.
5. If necessary to send another attorney in your place to Court with me will you be briefing that attorney to avoid unnecessary Court appearances? While there are times when it is necessary to ask another attorney to cover a court appearance I try to avoid this. In the event that it be 100% necessary that I must ask for attorney coverage: I will only send in an attorney who is experienced in the area of law. I will make sure the covering attorney has all necessary documents and knowledge of your case to provide the best representation on your behalf.
6. Who will be working on my file? I will be working on your file as well as my paralegal.
7. Can I reach you directly in an emergency? Yes, not only am I reachable 24 hours a day 7 days a week through my office phone, I also provide my clients with my cell phone number to reach me in an emergency.
8. What is your client caseload and do you have time to handle my case? Caseloads can fluctuate based upon difference factors. I do not take every case that comes into my office. If I feel that I cannot give your case the time and attention it deserves I will advise you of that and recommend you seek a different attorney.
9. What access do you have to up to date case law and legal research? My office uses Lexis Advance. I have tried other legal research programs but find this is the best.