Get The Information You Need Before Choosing An Attorney
Your attorney should be able to handle even the most difficult questions. Make sure to ask any potential attorney critical questions regarding experience, case management styles, legal fees and team members before you decide to hire him or her. Some of the top questions to ask your attorney are:
- Have you ever handled a case like mine before? If so, how many? What kind of outcome did you get in such cases?
- How long have you been practicing law? How long have you been practicing in this specific area of law?
- What different kinds of outcomes have you experienced in these cases? What alternatives do I have in resolving the matter? Do you have experience using those alternatives?
- If I hire you, how often will I be speaking with you directly? How will we communicate as you handle my case?
- Do you typically try to settle cases out of court? Do you prefer to practice in the courtroom? Which area are you more comfortable with and why?
- Does anyone other than an attorney ever come in contact with my file? How much of the work does the paralegal or legal secretary handle?
Choosing the right lawyer can be daunting. Not all law firms have the ability to achieve favorable results in complex cases such as criminal defense, family law and real estate. The Law Office of Kevin M. MacKay has more than 25 years of legal experience to protect your rights and your best interests in a wide range of legal matters. Do not hesitate to have a conversation with us to discuss our experience and ability to positively influence your case. Reach us online or by telephone at 845-462-0001 to schedule a free initial consultation.
After the Covid-19 restrictions, Courts in Dutchess County, NY are now open for e-filing.
Holding off on hiring a lawyer for your divorce at this time can have significant legal consequences. File today and avoid court backlogs and extended wait times. Move forward today with the Law Office of Kevin Mackay.
Before hiring a lawyer in Dutchess County, NY for your divorce, child custody, criminal matter, dui, personal injury case or any other serious legal matter please make sure you ask the following questions.
For the sake of transparency and to save time during your free consultation with the Law Office of Kevin MacKay here are some questions answered for you.
1. How long have you been practicing law? I have been practicing law for 27 years.
2. How many trials have you done? How often do you settle vs try a case? I have done hundreds of trials in divorce actions, family court proceedings and criminal proceedings ranging from traffic matters to murder cases. While many cases do settle, I will never let my clients settle for anything less than they deserve, I am a litigation attorney and will take any case to trial to get the best results for my clients.
3. How much of your practice is devoted to my legal needs? While I practice different areas of law I concentrate mostly on matrimonial and criminal law. I will never take on a case that I was not 100% confident that I can meet your needs and represent you to the best of my abilities.
4. Will you be the attorney appearing in court with me? How do I know you are personally going to handle my case? Just because you say so in your commercial? Yes, I will be appearing with you in Court. I keep in contact with my clients to discuss all aspects of the case, not only will I be handling your case but I keep you involved every step of the way.
5. If necessary to send another attorney in your place to Court with me will you be briefing that attorney to avoid unnecessary Court appearances? While there are times when it is necessary to ask another attorney to cover a court appearance I try to avoid this. In the event that it be 100% necessary that I must ask for attorney coverage: I will only send in an attorney who is experienced in the area of law. I will make sure the covering attorney has all necessary documents and knowledge of your case to provide the best representation on your behalf.
6. Who will be working on my file? I will be working on your file as well as my paralegal.
7. Can I reach you directly in an emergency? Yes, not only am I reachable 24 hours a day 7 days a week through my office phone, I also provide my clients with my cell phone number to reach me in an emergency.
8. What is your client caseload and do you have time to handle my case? Caseloads can fluctuate based upon difference factors. I do not take every case that comes into my office. If I feel that I cannot give your case the time and attention it deserves I will advise you of that and recommend you seek a different attorney.
9. What access do you have to up to date case law and legal research? My office uses Lexis Advance. I have tried other legal research programs but find this is the best.
10. What counties do you practice in? How do you handle appearances over a vast area? Dutchess, Putnam, Orange and Ulster. Approximately 85% of all my cases are in Dutchess County. When I must appear in another County it is scheduled to allow me additional time to travel and personally appear on your case.